Malayan Christian Schools Council (MCSC) Symposium on Mission Schools Meeting the Needs of the Nation, was held on Saturday, 16 August 2008 at Methodist College, Kuala Lumpur.
Attendees include School Principals and Guru Besars, members of School Board of Governors and Managers, Parent-Teacher Associations, School Alumni, School Administrators and Teachers, Educationists and those associated with Mission Scools and who are concerned for the Education of the young.
- Explore how the Boards of Governors, PTAs, Alumni, Heads of Schools and oher stakeholders can work together and realise their commitment and responsibilites to meet the needs of the nation.
- Provide a platform for educators to learn from each other on how to maintain the quality and prestige of mission schools and teachers
- Explore how mission schools can exert a postive influence on society
- Revisit the spirit of the founding missionaries of our mission schools.
Opening Prayer by Bishop Ng Moon Hing
Mission Schools: Current Status and Issues
By Yin Kam Yoke | Watch Video Part 1 | 2 | 3
Hon Secretary, Malayan Christian Schools’ Council
Forum Part 1:
MISSION SCHOOLS - Meeting the Needs of the Nation
Moderator: Mrs Gloriosa Rajendran | Watch Video: Intro
Panel, renown educationists:
- Dr Lim Teck Ghee | Paper
- Dr Patricia Matinez | Watch Video Part 1 | 2 | 3
- Mr Goh Keat Seng | Watch Video Part 1 | 2 | 3
Forum Part 2: Launch of Promotional Resource
Teaching as a Vocation and Mission | Watch Video
- Sustaining a Functional Mission School Board
by Dr Ting Cheh Sing
- Sharing Best Practices
by Mr Louis Rozario Doss
- A Model Parent-Teacher Association
by Mr Mark Tan
- Attitude Breakthrough Challenge
by Mr Cheli Tamilselvam
- Maintaining the Ethos of Christian Schools
by Mr Wong Chee Kheon and Mdm Lo Kwai Sim
- School Christian Fellowship
by Mrs Julie Wong and Ms Chieng Dih Ting
- School Alumni
by Dato' Lee Tak Lum
Closing Address by YB Ir Dr Wee Ka Siong
Deputy Minister of Education
Closing Thoughts and Prayer
by Mr Yap Kok Keong, Chairman, MCSC
MISSION SCHOOLS established over the last 150 years by the various churches:
We are all ONE.
When One is harmed,
all are harmed.
When One is helped,
all are healed.
"One of the enduring legacies of the colonial era, at least 800 mission schools and convents were established throughout Malaysia since the early 19th century." » Source
As at January 2008
Primary Schools: 289
Secondary Schools: 121
Total Mission Schools: 410
Source: EPRD, MOE
» Guidelines for School Administrators of Government-Assisted Catholic Schools (GACS) Malaysia
» Roles and Responsibilities of Boards of Governors / Managers of Government-Assisted Mission Schools
for Mission Schools